Welcome to The Arts Society Leeds, a member Society of The Arts Society, formerly the National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS). The Arts Societies bring together like-minded people to enjoy the arts and work on heritage preservation projects.
NOTE: Due to current Coronavirus regulations, many activities and functions of the Society are either held in abeyance or delivered online.
The Leeds Society activities include:
MONTHLY ARTS LECTURES
The Arts Society Leeds hosts a programme of lectures given by some of the country’s top experts on a wide range of subjects including architecture, social history, and the work of artists and designers. Find out more about upcoming lectures.
All our lectures take place in Castle Grove Hall, Castle Grove Drive, Headingley, Leeds LS6 4BP. They begin at 2 p.m. and finish at or just after 3 p.m. The hall is equipped with an audio loop for the hard-of-hearing. There is ample parking at the hall. There is a comfortable bar, and sandwiches are available before the lecture.
STUDY DAYS AND VISITS
The Society also organizes study days where we look at topics in depth, visits to centres of historical, cultural and artistic importance, and special tours. Bookings for these are taken six to eight weeks in advance. Find out more about upcoming study days and visits.
Local volunteers work on a variety of projects in churches, museums, historic houses, galleries and archives. Societies also support arts education through Young Arts events and through funding for Young Arts projects. Find out more about volunteering opportunities.
Members of the committee organise the many functions of the Society. Current committee members are:
- Chairman: Marie Paule Sheard (email@example.com)
- Membership: Daphne Paley-Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secretaries: Joanne de Pennington, Maggie Cooke (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Joan West (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lectures: Estelle Stanley (email@example.com)
- Church Recording: Angela Wilcox (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Study Days: Charlotte Evers (email@example.com)
- Visits: Anne Phillips, Vivienne Razavilar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lunches: Robina Whittaker, Melanie Beeby (email@example.com)
- Young Arts: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Website & news: Syd Donald (email@example.com)
Committee members serve for three years. Volunteers are welcome to shadow any current member with a view to taking over the role when the current member’s term expires.